Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Don't knock it 'til you've been there

OK, I couldn't think of a witty song title for this one. My excuse is that my son was sick last week, and now my husband is. I haven't had time to do the dishes, let alone be witty. I'll be so glad when this winter is over once and for all.

In the meantime, I wanted to share a situation we're going through that's made me think about the things I am saying/want to say on this blog: Our bed problem.

Yea, you're real cute 'til it's 3:30 a.m.and you're standing there.
From the days of pregnancy, as I have said a million times, I started formulating what kind of mom I wanted to be and what the rules of my household would be. One I was sure of is that I would NOT have a baby in my bed. I like my sleep. I like my bed. I like bending one leg slightly and stretching the other out as far as I can so that my foot is out from under the covers. A baby would cramp my style.And this has been totally fine for us, until now. Last week the little one had roseola, which meant a high fever that we didn't know the source of for a couple of days. Which meant we made an exception to the no-baby rule and put him in bed with us. And now he will NOT stay in his crib. Just like that - my whole routine is ruined. He still goes to bed on his own, but he wakes up terrified in the middle of the night and the only thing that seems to solve the problem is going back to my comfortable bed with a baby in my arms. It's the only way we're getting any sleep, at least for now.

I say all that to say this: I am not and never will be an expert. A lot of times I have grand ideas about what I expect and then they don't work out the way they do in my head. I think I know what's best and then I usually don't. So, as I struggle with where to go "green," I want to make it clear that I am just sharing the way it's happened as I have experienced it. To each his own, and, if you are making a choice I don't agree with, I probably haven't been in your shoes. I am clinging to the hope that most people do make logical, well-intended choices given the situation they're in. At least that's what I am trying to do. As for now, I am going to go get comfy in my bed until I get that wake-up call from the crib in the next room.

I have another recipe to share but just now remembered it's Wednesday. Maybe next week.

Search Amazon.com for baby sleep book

1 comments:

Erica said...

I love the picture that goes with this entry! What a grin. I'm normally of the opinion that he looks most like you (slash John), but I see Craig in this.

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com : PS Brushes by Obsidian Dawn